Purpose of Advising Appointments
The Academic Advising office encourages all students to meet with an advisor so that we can help you make the most of your time at DMACC. When you schedule an appointment, you are assured that your advisor will have the time to devote to you and your career, educational, and transfer concerns. Follow-up appointments may be needed.
Common appointment activities include:
- Reviewing degree requirements
- Checking progress toward graduation
- Selecting appropriate courses to take for the next semester
- Discussing career goals
- Developing a transfer plan
- Identifying courses needed for transfer
- Reviewing college policies and procedures
- Calculating your grade point average
- Deciding on a major
Preparing for Your Advising Appointment
In order for us to make the best use of your time and to better serve you, it is important for you to come to your appointment prepared. Here are some tips to help you plan for your advising appointment:
- Schedule your appointment early and arrive a few minutes early to check in.
- Write down your questions and concerns in advance. Decide what your top priority is to discuss at the appointment.
- If we’re working on your schedule, bring a copy of your degree audit.
- If another office has emailed you paperwork for our meeting, it’s your responsibility to bring that as well.
- Be willing to tell us about your situation. If something in your life is affecting school, you can safely share it with us.
- Keep all the material from this appointment to reference in the future.