Frequently Asked Transfer Questions

  • Transfer Advising - A transfer advisor can help you search for & choose a college, select appropriate transfer courses, and use course equivalency & transfer guides.
  • Career Center - The Career Center provides free career counseling and assessments to help you explore majors and occupations that might fit your interests and skills. The Career Center also has a resource library where you can pick up transfer materials from other colleges and universities.
  • Transfer Fairs - Transfer fairs are held on campus at least once a year. These events allow you to meet face-to-face with four-year college representatives.
  • College/University Visits - Representatives from four-year colleges/universities visit our campus throughout the year. These visits give you the opportunity to meet face-to-face with the four-year college representatives.

If you are planning to transfer from DMACC to a four-year college, it is important to begin preparing for your transfer as early as possible to ensure a smooth transition. Many of the decisions you make today will affect your transfer to the four-year college; this is why it is crucial to begin planning now.

You are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor to discuss your transfer options. Advisors are available on every campus to assist you throughout the entire planning process.

  • Choosing a Major - Many majors require you to complete specific coursework prior to your acceptance. Therefore, it is important to have a college major selected before you transfer. If you are undecided about your future career or major, you should begin exploring your options very early in your college career. Help is available to guide you through self-assessment and career exploration activities.
  • Selecting a College - It is very beneficial to have a transfer college in mind early on in the planning process. Research your options and make sure the college you choose offers your intended major. College Comparison Worksheets are available to help you compare and contrast the colleges you are considering.

  • The Liberal Arts A. A. Degree usually provides the best transfer. These general education or "core" courses are generally equivalent to the first two years at a four-year college. However, this is not the best route for all majors. Once you have decided on a major, you should talk with an advisor to determine the best plan for your intended major.
  • Take the prerequisite courses for your major. Your transfer college or a DMACC advisor can help you identify the prerequisites you need. Transfer plans are available for many different majors. These plans are a great resource in helping you select appropriate courses for your major.
  • Start taking courses in subject areas that interest you, but reserve the bulk of your major coursework for your transfer college. Upper-level courses often will not transfer into your major; most colleges require that you complete these upper-level courses on their campus.
  • Complete course sequences when required. For example, your major might require a sequence of two semesters of chemistry. This could mean you will need to complete both CHEM131 and CHEM132 in order for the courses to transfer.

Many of Iowa's four-year colleges will allow a DMACC A. A. Degree to transfer as a "whole package" for most majors. This means you will have satisfied that college's general education requirements by completing an A. A. Degree, even if the courses do not match up exactly to that college's specific general education requirements. This allows you to transfer as a junior and focus on your chosen major once you arrive at the four-year college. However, the A. A. Degree is not appropriate for all majors, so you should discuss your transfer plans with an advisor.

DMACC has articulation agreements with a few out-of-state colleges, and these agreements can help you with course selection. However, it is very important for you to visit with an advisor at the college you plan to attend because the four-year college will determine if and how your credits will transfer. In most cases, our liberal arts courses are still the most appropriate for you to take.

Deadlines vary from college to college. It is important that you check with your transfer institution about their specific deadlines. The Career & Transfer Resource Center provides admission and scholarship information for most Iowa four-year colleges, but the best resource for this information is your four-year college transfer admission counselor. The College Admission Checklist can help you keep track of all important deadlines.

Your transfer college will require you to provide official transcripts from each college you have attended. Transcripts must be sent directly from one college to another to be considered "official". Transcript requests must be submitted to the DMACC Registration Office; the Transcript Request Form is available online. It is important to realize that each college has its own policies regarding the acceptance and application of transfer credit.

  • Do you offer my major?
  • Is admission into my major competitive?
  • What are the admission requirements?
  • Is there a deadline for admission?
  • Is there an admission fee or deposit required?
  • How will my DMACC courses transfer?
  • What courses do I need to take before I transfer?
  • How many credits can I transfer into your college?
  • What is your college's foreign language requirement?
  • How much is tuition?
  • What payment options are available?
  • Are there deadlines for financial aid?
  • What scholarships are available for transfer students?
  • What are my options for on-campus housing?
  • When do I need to apply for housing?
  • How much does it cost for housing and meal plans?
  • Do you offer fast track or evening courses?
  • What student activities and organizations are available?

  • DMACC has articulation agreements and transfer plans with many four- year colleges and universities. These are valuable tools which can assist you in selecting appropriate transfer courses.
  • Many colleges offer transfer student scholarships. Scholarship information is usually available on the college's website.
  • Our Cross Enrollment agreement allows DMACC students to take a class for free at Drake, Grand View, or Iowa State. This is an excellent way to sample another college.
  • DMACC has several special programs and 2+2 degree programs with four - year colleges. See an advisor for additional information.