Once you have been accepted as a student at Des Moines Area Community College, you are invited to apply to the DMACC Honors Program. The requirements are listed on the
To be accepted into the honors program you
- Must have earned a high school degree or equivalent by the time you enter the Honors Program.
- Must complete an AA, AS or AAS degree to graduate with honors.
- Must be able to complete courses face-to-face on a DMACC campus.
- Must begin the program in the semester accepted or re-apply to the program.
Applicants are encouraged to compose and edit an essay (described below) in a Microsoft Word document prior to beginning the online form, so that the document can be uploaded or attached into the space provided on the application. Essays should be approximately 800 words in length and single spaced, using Times New Roman 12 point font.
The Honors Program looks for students who think critically, seek in-depth learning experiences, and demonstrate a commitment to using their gifts to benefit others.
In approximately 800 words,
- Tell us about a time when you have demonstrated research skills and/or problem-solving skills to benefit others through your research, leadership, or volunteer experiences. Good examples might include a research paper or project, a volunteer project, a science fair project, a 4-H project, or a scouting project.
- Discuss how being in the Honors Program would enhance your academic experience.
Your essay will be read by a panel of faculty members at DMACC who serve on the Honors Admissions Committee. This committee will evaluate your essay based on the degree to which it demonstrates Honors-level writing and how well it addresses both writing prompts. If an applicant's writing is not determined to be at Honors level, the student may not be admitted to the Honors Program.
The essay is your opportunity to showcase your motivation and achievement to the Honors Admissions Committee.
We look forward to learning more about you.
All documents required may be uploaded, including transcripts, test scores, and personal essays. Teacher recommendation letters may be attached to an e-mail to Laurie Linhart at
The Honors Program is currently taking applications for the Spring 2020 semester.
The application deadline to apply for Summer 2020 is Thursday, April 30
The application deadline to apply for Fall 2020 is Wednesday, July 29
We encourage you to apply early in order to have the best selection of honors courses.