Thank you for your interest in noncredit ELL classes at DMACC. Currently, our Fall 2020 Session #1 is full, and we are not accepting additional new students. Please check this page again 0n October 1st, 2020 to sign up for a testing and registration session for the Fall Session #2. This session will begin on November 2nd, 2020. Thank you.
Noncredit English Language Learner (ELL) courses, formerly called ESL or English as a Second Language (ESL), consist of multi-level English instruction for anyone 18 years or older. The courses move learners from a beginner level to a solid intermediate level of proficiency. The classes cover the four skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing as well as improving pronunciation and building vocabulary. The primary goal of the course is to teach communicative competence, that is, the ability to communicate in English according to the situation, purpose, and roles of the participants. The CASAS (Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System) is used to appraise the students' English reading and listening skills and to place them in the appropriate learning level.
Testing, Registration & Attendance Requirements
- Please allow up to 2 hours for testing.
- Please bring a photo identification.
- Please make arrangements for childcare - children are NOT allowed.
- Following your testing session, staff will meet with you to determine the appropriate ELL class level.
- IF your schedule allows and IF there is space available, staff will register you for a class.
If you register for a class, you must come to class. If you don't come to class, you will be dropped from the class. View the attendance policy.