Noncredit English Language Learner (ELL) courses, formerly called ESL or English as a Second Language (ESL), consist of multi-level English instruction for anyone 18 years or older. The courses move learners from a beginner level to a solid intermediate level of proficiency. The classes cover the four skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing as well as improving pronunciation and building vocabulary. The primary goal of the course is to teach communicative competence, that is, the ability to communicate in English according to the situation, purpose, and roles of the participants. The CASAS (Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System) is used to appraise the students' English reading and listening skills and to place them in the appropriate learning level.
Next Session: Summer Session
May 17, 2021 – June 24, 2021
Morning and evening classes will be available.
Classes will be online – students must have access to the internet and a smartphone, tablet, or computer to be able to participate.
Registration for Summer Session is now closed.
A registration link for Fall Session #1 (August 30, 2021 – October 21, 2021) will appear on this website on Monday, August 2, 2021.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact:
Registration and Testing Appointment Details
- You MUST make an appointment to be able to register for classes. We will not be able to help people without appointments.
- Appointments will take place in-person, but classes will be online.
- Please wear a mask to your appointment and maintain 6-foot distance from others at all times.
- Please allow up to 2 hours for testing.
- Please do not bring family members or children with you.
- Following your testing session, staff will meet with you to determine the appropriate ELL class level.
If you register for a class, you must come to class. If you don't come to class, you will be dropped from the class.
View the attendance policy.