TRIO-Student Support Services
TRIO-SSS academic advisors are fully trained and qualified DMACC advisors, who provide individualized advising to meet the specific needs of our students and support them toward reaching their goals. TRIO-SSS students work with the same TRIO-SSS advisor throughout their entire time at DMACC.
The following are examples of some of the services TRIO-SSS advisors provide:
- DMACC degree completion planning, along with course selection and registration
Schedule changes, including adding and dropping classes
Navigating each step of the transfer process, including:
Selecting a college or university and major
Choosing the best DMACC classes
Admissions and housing applications
4-year campus visits
Applying for and understanding Federal financial aid
Identifying and applying for scholarships
Career exploration and selection
Creating a budget and other money management strategies
Understanding college policies, procedures, rules and expectations
Identifying and applying for internships or research opportunities
Supplemental Academic Support
TRIO-SSS staff includes Academic Success Coaches, who are DMACC faculty and provide supplemental academic support for writing, science and math. Our Academic Success Coaches meet with students on the DMACC Urban Campus Building 1 Room 211 or via our virtual space.
TRIO-SSS Supplemental Academic Support helps students:
Improve academic performance and get better grades
- Take charge of their learning experience
- Become more confident students
- Increase their understanding of course content and subject matter
- Develop a higher level of critical thinking
- Develop or improve study habits and skills
- Provide assistance on specific assignments
Services provided by TRIO-SSS Academic Success Coaches
Personalized 1:1 attention
- New or different perspective on course content
- Review and explanation of assignments
- Clarification of information presented in class
- Provide additional examples and practice problems to reinforce concepts
- Help improving study skills, including time management and organization
TRIO-SSS Computer Lab
Located on the DMACC Urban Campus Building 1 Room 211, the TRIO-SSS Computer Lab is a space specifically for TRIO-SSS students!
This is a space for students to:
- Connect with other TRIO-SSS students
- Hang out between classes.
The TRIO-SSS Computer Lab is where you may meet with our Academic Success Coaches, as well.
Participant Travel and Cultural & Social Activities
Each semester, TRIO-SSS students will have opportunities to visit Iowa State University, University of Iowa, University of Northern Iowa, and Grand View University. We plan trips to Central College, Drake University or Simpson College, if we have at least 3 students who are interested in attending. TRIO-SSS academic advisors plan and coordinate campus visit days and transportation is provided. These campus visits are a chance for students to experience the 4-year campus environment, gain information about their intended majors, and meet other DMACC students who are considering transfer.
Each semester, TRIO-SSS offers participants opportunities to attend local cultural engagement experiences. This is a chance for TRIO-SSS students to attend events they might not otherwise attend. These events are free for TRIO-SSS students to attend and transportation is provided. Examples of past cultural events include:
Live theatrical performances
- Historical museums
- Art exhibits