A visit to the DMACC Academy program is strongly recommended for prospective students, families, and school districts. This visit helps the IEP team understand and determine if the Academy is the right fit for a student.
Information Sessions for the Academy will be offered ONLY on the following dates this year:
Thursday, October 10, 2019 - Ankeny Campus - 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - Building 19 room 30
Thursday, March 12, 2020 - Ankeny Campus - 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - Building 19 room 30
Please arrive for the Information Sessions at 12:50 p.m.
1:00- 1:40 p.m.
Meet in a large group to discuss general DMACC/ Academy program information, tour classroom and lab environment.
Tour apartment living facility.
You must call to sign up for one of these sessions. Please call 515-965-7138
Most teenagers desire independence. Students with learning disabilities, like autism or Down’s syndrome, are no exception.
Through STRIVE Academy -- an educational program offered through Des Moines Area Community College in partnership with school districts, parents, and students, students ages 18-21 with transitional needs and an IEP (Individualized Education Program) learn to live as independently as possible.
STRIVE Academy helps students
- Grow work-ready skills in a classroom setting.
- Problem solving
- Interpersonal relations
- Intrapersonal skills
- Attendance and punctuality
- Technology skills
- Workplace safety
- Productivity and supervision
- Get on-the-job experience.
- Employment at Goodwill and HyVee
- Work at settings that match their interests. These may include work opportunities at DMACC’s Trail Point Aquatics and Wellness Center, Child Development Center, computer lab, or Café X, or offsite through relationships with area businesses and organizations.
- Gain independent living know-how. Students live at Campus View, one of the Ankeny campus’s housing units, during the work week. There, with the help of Resident Assistants, they learn life skills like
- Personal hygiene
- Personal safety
- Living with others
- and more.
STRIVE Academy is the only educational program of its kind in central Iowa where students live on campus and go to school. The STRIVE Academy curriculum is technology-based; we provide a computer for each student. Students also have access to:
- On-campus activities
- Individual and group counseling services to address tougher life issues
- The college experience