Des Moines Area Community College's liberal arts Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees provide the flexibility and opportunity to get a solid start on your four-year degree in pre-medicine while earning an Associate degree.
DMACC's class sizes are small and provide a high level of support while you build the foundation for your academic and professional career.
Since many of our graduates apply to Des Moines University after they finish their Bachelor degree, specific reference is made to their requirements.
*Courses highly recommended by DMU
**Suggested additional courses for fulfilling DMACC AA degree requirements.
- Many medical schools now also require or recommend a biochemistry course. DMU requires a biochemistry course, preferably at the 300 or higher level.
- The prospective student will need to take MCAT (Medical College Admission Test). To be a competitive applicant, you should maintain a GPA for the pre-med courses of 3.5 or higher.
- Research, physician shadowing/health care experience, and volunteer services are highly recommended. DMU requires physician shadowing/health care experience and a letter of recommendation from a physician documenting such experience.
- Students planning to apply to medical school should visit the website of programs they are interested in for detailed information.
- Interested students can contact Biology Professor Qian Moss at firstname.lastname@example.org or (515) 964-6671 for further information.