You might hear about some changes to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). But don’t worry; these changes were put in place to make the FAFSA process easier. Starting with the 2017-2018 FAFSA, there will be two major changes:
- You’ll be able to submit your FAFSA earlier. You can file your 2017-2018 FAFSA as early as October 1, 2016, rather than beginning on January 1, 2017. If you file the FAFSA earlier it can help with budgeting for the upcoming school year.
- You’ll use earlier income tax information. Beginning with the 2017-2018 FAFSA, you (and your parent(s), as appropriate) will report your 2015 income and tax information, rather than your 2016 information.
What are the advantages of these recent changes?
- No more missed deadlines
- No more guessing information
- No longer waiting on tax preparation
- More time to resolve any supplemental documentation
- Easier to utilize the Data Retrieval Tool
- More time to prepare, make decisions, and submit documentation
Complete your FAFSA today.
Spring Term 2017 (Starting in January) = 2016/2017 FAFSA
Summer Term 2017 (Starting in May) = 2016/2017 FAFSA
Fall Term 2017 (Starting in August) = 2017/2018 FAFSA
For helpful tips and information, please visit the Financial Aid Checklist.